Most law graduates dream of getting placed in one of the top law firms in India for various reasons, the main being a big fat pay cheque. It is a big opportunity which enables you to work with big fishes like business tycoons, celebrities in the country and at times get media attention too. You get to have skyrocketing career and with that an elite lifestyle. On the flip side such law firms spread across the country come out with not more than 200 openings against the thousands that graduate every year from law firms. Furthermore, most of the jobs either go to the toppers from the best universities or relatives with contacts. So at the end of the day the idea of landing a high paying job in the top law firms in India is just like a mirage in the desert.
While students are curious and excited to work on big projects, with celebrities and head honchos in top law firms, the reality is quite different. As a beginner or an intern you don’t immediately get such big breaks. Initially it is only about doing filing work or proof reading documents or due diligence related tasks that you might land upon. Thus as a junior associate against your presumptions, what you do would be quite boring, actually.
Having said that, this is the case with most of the careers. The initial period is more of toiling. Also, as there is a lot of pressure after graduation to land a job into a top law firm and that tends to make students do stupid things.
So, are there really any pros there or only cons. Yes, off-course there are pros of getting to work with a top notch law firm and cons too. Here’s to list a few-
- To be with the best, you need to give your best. So, here’s a place where you need to put your best to match their standards and class.
- At such firms, you as a new graduate law students get to groom yourself, learn to dress, be on time and learn about communicating professionally which can be of great help in a later stage.
- You get to work with the competent team and get to learn a lot about teamwork and from them as well.
- Top law firms provide full service and hence you get a 360-degree learning experience on various fronts of law.
- Work timings are one of the biggest cons in a law firm. There are no fixed timings and could land you home as late at past midnight. So, personal life might as well go for a toss when working with these firms.
- Don’t always expect very well behaved seniors. Be ready for experiences where if you underperform as a young law associate, you are shown the door straight away. No wonder, attrition rates are so high in law firms.
- Sitting for long hours in front of the computer can cause a lot of physical stress as a law firm job is a desk job.
Having said that, if you are competent enough with a willingness to work 24 x 7 then you could be the preferred one and climb the ladder of success faster in terms of roles and responsibilities as well as remuneration.
KLE Law College is one of the Top Law School in India
*Sourced from the Internet