The topic of Aadhar card linking to the Bank account has been trending for quite a while now. Meanwhile banks and mobile phone carriers have already been broadcasting text messages and alerts informing people on linking their mobile phones as well as bank accounts to aadhar. But, the supreme court ruling has come as a relief to the common man. The courts verdict was passed by a five judge bench that was led by CJI Dipak Misra. Here are a few highlights of the courts verdict on aadhar card.
- It is mandatory to link aadhar to Pan card and mandatory for filing income tax returns (ITR)
- It is not mandatory to link aadhar to bank account or mobile phone carriers
- Courts asks government to Enforce a robust law for data protection as soon as possible
- Justice Sikri specifically mentioned that there is a fundamental difference between identity card and Aadhar card. The information that is taken up from the user is stored biometrically in the system.
- The court invalidated the aadhar law that permits data sharing on national security grounds
- Aadhar not mandatory for school admission.
- Ensure that illegal immigrants are not issued Aadhar for getting social welfare benefits.
- Private companies cannot ask for aadhar
As per Sikri Aadhar did satisfy the doctrine of proportionality and also that it was created with a purpose to empower and provide identity to the marginalized sections of the society. There were positive as well as negative responses coming in for the verdict. While as per some people the verdict destroyed the legitimacy of the purpose. The security of Aadhar data has been a concern but the court still upheld aadhar’s validity stating that adequate
*Sourced from the Internet